Burton's Mighty Wurlitzer Organ ~ Celebrating 50 Years At Burton Town Hall
King Edward Place, DE14 2EB Burton upon Trent
In 1925 the Organ had left the Rudolph Wurlitzer Manufacturing Company at North Tonawanda, New York State as Job No 1165. It began its working life at the Cameo Theatre, Cleveland, Ohio as a standard Model F, two manual, and eight unit instrument. A fire in the theatre sometime in the early 1930s damaged or destroyed the console resulting in the organ being repurchased by the Wurlitzer Company and returned to the factory. It was later shipped to England and installed in the Forum Cinema in Northenden, Manchester for opening on 10th July 1934. Then later saw relocation to Burton Town Hall in July 1972.
The organ was unveiled at its inaugural concert given by the late John Bee on 16th April 1973 and still stands proud at over eighty years old. Reputed as being one of the best Organs in the country being hired in recent years for recording sessions by top international organists, filmed by the BBC, Radio 2 and recorded on CD/DVD for international release, and playing an instrumental part in the development of many famous players now top in their field. The mighty Wurlitzer Organ of Burton is celebrating providing over 40 years of enjoyment at Burton Town Hall and continues to do so. *****